I investigate basic aspects of anatomical and functional organization of the human auditory pathway and cortex by combining high-resolution fMRI at 7 Tesla and “fMRI encoding” algorithms. This unique combination of methods has resulted in the tonotopic mapping of the human inferior colliculus and the medial geniculate nuclei as well as the mapping of the columnar organization of the primary auditory cortex and its modulation with attention. Since 2014 these projects are funded by the Netherlands Organization of Scientific Research (NWO – VIDI grant) to map the architecture (functional and structural) of the human auditory pathway at high spatial resolution.
Importantly, both MRI acquisition and analysis methods that are optimized/developed in the context of these highly relevant publications have also been used in several other recent publications and collaborations, including laminar and columnar-level 7 Tesla fMRI of visual areas V1 and hMT.
Department of Cognitive Neuroscience, Faculty of Psychology, Maastricht University
Center for Magnetic Resonance Research, Department of Radiology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, USA.
- De Martino F, Yacoub E, Kemper V, Moerel M, Uludag K, De Weerd P, Ugurbil K, Goebel R, Formisano E. (2017). The impact of ultra-high field MRI on cognitive and computational neuroimaging. Neuroimage pii: S1053-8119(17)30286-0. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2017.03.060.
- De Martino F, Moerel M, Ugurbil K, Goebel R, Yacoub E, Formisano E. (2015). Frequency preference and attention effects across cortical depths in the human primary auditory cortex. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A;112(52):16036-41. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1507552112. Epub 2015 Dec 14.
- De Martino F, Moerel M, Xu J, van de Moortele PF, Ugurbil K, Goebel R, Yacoub E, Formisano E. (2015). High-Resolution Mapping of Myeloarchitecture In Vivo: Localization of Auditory Areas in the Human Brain. Cereb Cortex; 25(10):3394-405. doi: 10.1093/cercor/bhu150. Epub 2014 Jul 3.
- De Martino F, Zimmermann J, Muckli L, Ugurbil K, Yacoub E, Goebel R. (2013). Cortical depth dependent functional responses in humans at 7T: improved specificity with 3D GRASE. PLoS One; 8(3):e60514. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0060514.
- De Martino F, Moerel M, van de Moortele PF, Ugurbil K, Goebel R, Yacoub E, Formisano E. (2013). Spatial organization of frequency preference and selectivity in the human inferior colliculus. Nat Commun; 4:1386. doi: 10.1038/ncomms2379.
Full list available at: